Monday, April 1, 2013

Health Activist Writer's challenge #1- Writing about UC

Hello out there everyone. This is my first attempt at participating in the #HAWMC! I am going to give it my best shot despite being busy with school and kids yadda yadda yadda....
I am not a newbie to WEGO health. My blog was so awesomely nominated as Rookie of the Year for 2012. WEGO is a great community of people who write about health issues.
I know with me I had wanted to start my blog when I first got sick but just didn't have it in me. I was lucky to be barely functioning as a mom while constantly being in a UC flare. Somehow I was dragging my diseased ass to work 40 hours and trying my damnedest to lead a normal life. Hello! Crazy person!! I shouldn't have been driving half the days I did. I was so weak and light headed. Anemic constantly. Malnourished constantly. I should have had a chauffer. So needless to say I was not  up to adding one more thing on my plate by blogging. Once I was scheduled for surgery last year I realized even more how I wish I had chronicled my journey. I had already forgotten details. I mixed up what happened in which hospitalization(like it really matters!) and I wish I had more pictures of what the disease had done to me physically. Hubs refers to me at my worst as Skeletor. Those of you old enough to remember He-Man know what I'm talking about. I have some random pics here and there but I kick myself for not documenting my journey on a bigger scale.
So in early 2012, with my surgery scheduled for May, I figured I would start so that way I could at least tell my story of surgery and recovery. I know a lot of people are so afraid of surgery they'd rather suffer for years and have their body destroyed by meds, so I wanted to make it real. I knew there would be dreadful days, but I also knew there would be many victories. I had the mindset that I would kick some ass in recovery and wanted to put a happy ending of sorts out into the IBD community. I wanted to write about how my health and surgery and recovery impacted my life, good and bad. So that's where I am today. I am closing in on having my blog one year and in that time have had almost 7,500 visitors to my little page. That is amazing to me since for the most part my blog was a little bit of therapy so to be that well received is a bonus.
Worst IV location EVER!!

I'm glad I did it. My story isn't the prettiest, my pictures are kinda gross and shocking, but I don't plan on stopping. I know my story is helping someone out there and I love it.
Until tomorrow, everyone!! Have a great night. XO

No comments:

Post a Comment