Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Some side effects are understated.

Hello, hello...
Want to start by posting a pic of my big 1 year old. Her cute smile makes me smile...


Last week at my appointment with my surgeon he recommended I start on Lomotil (anti-peristaltic) to attempt to slow my output as it is seriously nearing a quart a day. Not kidding. He figures that is what's behind me almost blacking out and seeing spots and getting lightheaded. So my Hubs picks it up and the Pharmacist specifically tells him to make sure I don't drive while on it, or do anything really active or that I could hurt myself. It is a narcotic after all but I thought it was a bit overblown. So night one of picking it up, I read the dosage and it's 2 pills(5mg) every 4 hours. I decided to take one just to try it out. I like to test out what a new med will do to me, especially a controlled substance (it's chemically similar to Demerol). Well, I know I'm a lightweight and all, but holy crap. I took it right around 8pm. I never saw 9pm. I don't think I saw 845p. I got woozy and my legs got tingly after about 20 minutes so I laid down. I didn't wake back up until 715a with my alarm. Full on like I was roofied. OMG. Soooooo- double that every FOUR HOURS!!!! I wouldn't be awake to take another dose for two days! Unless I want to sleep my entire day away, I can't take it. So I'm going to attempt to take the full 2 pills before bed and hope 1/4 of what he wants me to take daily will help. Seriously- what the hell. Good thing the house didn't catch fire because I don't think Hubs would have been able to wake my ass up!
Another fun thing that's happening over here is the skin issue I developed on the area that is under my wafer. Yeah- it's always covered, in this heat, sweating, being heated by my skin, never fully dries.... Can you guess the issue???? Come on, you can do it!




YEAST Infection!!! WOOOHOOOO--- on my skin. Yeah- sweet. So gross. Do you have any idea what it's like to itch under the bag and wafer ALL day but you just can't scratch it. Holy shit, it's like torture. So I bang on it. Yes, like a crazy person. Banging on my abdomen. It just itches so horribly it makes me insane. Oh, you need a visual??? Certainly- you only have to ask once! =)





All that red and bumpy stuff is the culprit. At first I thought I was just having a reaction to the adhesive, which surprised me because I don't have sensitive skin. My ET nurse confirmed it via text when I sent this pic on Sunday. 
Nasty business. I'm treating it and supposedly it will be gone in 1-2 weeks. In the meantime I have to change my wafer every 48 hours to treat my skin and that's just a big PITA (Pain In The Ass).
Doesn't Stupid Stoma look like she's sticking her tongue out? 'Haha lady- screw you'.  Yeah, I'm very, very mature. Oddly, SS hasn't embarrassed me in class yet. She must still be asleep at 8am when my class starts. I hope she keeps sleeping in!
I'm in the process of going through my clothes. I have clothes in every size from 2-10. I just pulled out 4 pair of Levis that look like I wore them once. Juniors size 3. Yeah- I was pretty skinny. I can get them on and buttoned even with the bag tucked in, but they are TIGHT...... so, they will not be kept.  Then I have my i'm-on-prednisone-jeans where I pack on a bunch of weight. Those are all like size 30. Some nice ones too.... Sevens, Joe's.... They fall off of me. My closet is exploding. I know I'll never be fluctuating again with flares and meds so I don't see the point of hanging on to a full size run of clothing.
I'll be ebaying very soon! I love ebaying.
That's it over here for today. I've got a quiz to study for and a big night of going into a coma on my meds! I know, I know... I live on the edge. I need to slow down. Gotcha! ;-)
Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Ouch! I have had an ostomy since 1006 and, thank goodness, I've never had a yeast infection quite that severe! It looks like the skin around your stoma is really, really irritated. That must HURT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really has sucked. It cleared up fast though. I should post an update of it. After about 4 days using Nystatin powder it was gone. Itching was gone in 48 hours. The raw area around stoma has since completely disappeared thanks to wonderful Eakin seals. I'm getting it all figured out just in time for my reversal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try staining the irritated areas with Gentain Violet. It may work faster for you. I used to rub my affected skin with Seltzen Blue medicated shampoo. A tea tree oil solution does the same thing.
    Levbid 0.325 is way more gentle and it comes in a lower dose (0.125, I think). I used to take 0.325mg at night, then the 0.125 during the day if my output was too high. I would have orthostatic hypotension & tachycardia upon standing if I got too dehydrated from high output. Hope it helps. :-)

    ReplyDelete