Saturday, December 15, 2012

Fa La La La La....

Well, the other day I started pulling out all the happy, shiny decor that comes with the holidays. I hung my HOMEMADE wreath on the front door, admiring it momentarily and moved on. I wish I had taken a picture of it. It turned out pretty cute for about $15 in craft supplies. Well, low and behold someone stole it right off my front door in the middle of the night. This left me pretty pissed for a variety of reason. #1- it's a holiday wreath and you stole it- could you be anymore anti-holiday spirit. #2- it's worth $15 and took me 10 minutes to make. Of all the really nice wreaths, you took mine? #3- if you really liked it that much, had knocked, I would have shown you how to make one. #4- YOU STOLE A HOLIDAY WREATH.
WEll, I'm over it (not at all) so I have decided to make a new wreath with a tutorial I found on Pinterest. I've actually done quite a few things I've found on that site. I like it and waste lots of time on it. Anywho- the tutorial seems easy peasy- a wire coat hanger (a la Mommy Dearest), some basic bulb ornaments and a bow to accent. Simply mold the hanger into a circle and load it up with what you want, how you want..twist the ends back together, cover with bow and hang. I can handle that, right? We'll see. I'll update how it turned out. I am a bit apprehensive about hanging another one. What if I have some neighborhood enemy I don't know about, who is dead set on stealing my decor? Doubtful, because my harvest wreath didn't go anywhere and neither did my gold light up trees I had near my front door. So maybe it really is a form of flattery.
I'm also going to make a new tree skirt out of a round table cloth. Yes, who woulda thunk it. Thanks again, Pinterest. You are the best.
I like a decorated festive house for the Holidays. I think they make the house feel warm and inviting. I don't have extended family out here, and no one is coming to visit for Christmas so I think the decorating makes it seem real. Christmas was always very busy growing up... going from my dad's family, our house, friends houses, my stepdad's family... Sometimes multiple houses in one day. All houses filled with people, and food and laughter. Here in Texas it's Hubs, me and the kids. Part of the day the two older kids go with the exes. The house is empty, quiet. It tends to just feel like an ordinary day. It makes me sad. I wouldn't mind a houseful of people for next year. We might not have enough bedrooms but we have space. I don't know. I know I've been in a funk the last week or so with my own stuff and thinking about a quiet Christmas eve and day is making it worse.
My tree looks pretty and already has tons of gifts under it. Daughter #1 is very excited. She keeps counting presents.
OK- I am off to gather ornaments and then scrounge up a wire hanger. I will let you know how this craft works out. Have a great weekend. Thanks for reading. XO

No comments:

Post a Comment