Friday, November 9, 2012

Lucky me.

Please watch this before continuing.


Watch "The Butt Campaign" on YouTube


This video made me cry. Made me realize I am lucky for everything I've gone through. I had a carefree childhood. No chronic pain, bleeding, hospitalizations etc.... These kids deal with so much at ages they should be playing and having fun. Instead, they schedule doctor's appointments and IV infusions. I see my girls in their faces. I hope they never have to go through what I have. I know I will forever be paranoid when they have stomach aches or diarrhea. I know the fear that they will develop symptoms is in the back of my mind. That's why this video hit me. I am lucky I got 31 years of a healthy life before all this UC shit started. There are infants with ostomy bags like I had. Can you imagine your baby needing my surgery, and having an ostomy and a bag on it's sweet little body? Heartbreaking. The first time I saw pictures of that I cried. I am very lucky. Even at my age it's hard to handle but I can tell myself to shut up and suck it up and persevere. These kids who have IBD are so strong. I don't know how they hold themselves together so well and smile! So many days I've been falling apart and there are kids who are smiling and enjoying life. Bravo to them. They are amazing. We need to support IBD research and find a cure for this crap. It ruins lives, it affects babies and kids and adults. The meds have evil side effects. The pain on a daily basis is excruciating. I will continue to talk about my story, unembarrassed and open, so more people will understand. Breast cancer used to be taboo too but now through awareness campaigns and people being open, there is no stigma. That's beautiful. I'd like for IBD to be the same. The pledge connected to this video and this group is to vow to stay verbal, and active in the fight against IBD until a cure is found. Being a complete pain in the butt. I can do that no problem. More ways than one. ;-). I'm on the other side now, thanks to surgery. I used to have UC. My surgeries come with their own issues but it's nothing like it was. I am lucky. I am lucky UC showed up when I was 31. Very lucky.

2 comments:

  1. And that is exactly why I don't care who sees my bag and I refuse to "try" to hide it! Somebody has to speak up. Why not us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you know from my bikini shots I'm not exactly shy! :-)

      Delete