Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Oh dear, sweet September.

Hey there, hi there..
I am 4 weeks out from surgery!!!!! Feeling pretty good. As much as I can. Still some random soreness and fatigue. I have been trying to up my calories (how often do you hear a grown woman say that?) because I am so over being weak and light headed and underweight. Yes ladies, you CAN be too skinny. I've been there a few times. Skeletor is NOT a good look.  I've almost blacked out from being weak, dehydrated and/or anemic more times than I can count. Ugh. There is no worse feeling than walking along and suddenly the world starts closing in and and you are seeing spots and it's getting dark. The worst. Can't take it.
So I still have that going on. Hopefully, it's no big deal. I'm probably still anemic or could be dehydrated which is bound to happen given that I have no colon.
I've been having much better luck with my stupid bags. I'm going to try a smaller version and hopefully get in the pool soon. I need to battle my way through the catalog to figure out what to get. You have no idea how many ostomy products are out there. Talk about overwhelming. Ridiculous.
I went and saw my surgeon today and mapped out a game plan going forward. I initially thought I'd be able to have surgery #2 in August, but much to my chagrin we are planning(if there are zero complications), to do it in September.
August just doesn't put him in a comfortable time frame for adhesion issues, swelling, and inflammation. I was a little bummed out but I respect what he's saying. I don't want to make a dumb decision now and regret it later because it caused complications that could have been avoided.
The bonus is I will not be cut open again...he'll do everything through the stoma site. Ideally. So, I guess that rules out me getting a plastic surgeon to stitch me back together after surgery #2!! ;-)  Damnit. I was hoping for some rolled into one tummy work. FAIL!
He didn't make me take my newly applied bag off either!! I took a pic of my stoma Sunday and showed him and he was happy with what he saw so no wasted bag today!! Changing this bag requires a system I have locked down very adequately in my bathroom with my blowdryer. So, I was MUCHO contenta. See---->


This leads me to the fact that I won't be taking classes this fall. I am disappointed. I could wait until the semester ends and do it in December, but then if something goes wrong it may push my recovery into January(spring semester) and more importantly, a new calendar year which means paying my DEDUCTIBLE!!! We want to avoid that at all costs!
All in all I am happy with the plan. I have to wait a bit longer but I can't really complain. I know it will work out okay. And I won't be in recovery over the holidays so MAYBE Hubs and I can escape for a little R&R together. We need it. I need it.
I feel 100% better now. I don't know how anyone can struggle with this disease for YEARS, and DECADES and not want to get that broken, rotten body part out of them. I don't know how people can remain adamant that they avoid surgery and continue down a path of pain, and meds, and hospitalizations. After just under 3 years I was done with it all. I couldn't even consider keeping that rotten thing that was ruining my life in my body.
My surgeon said waiting another year would have put me at risk of the damn colon rupturing or perforating and making an entirely new nightmare. That thing was at the end of it's life and I'm happy I didn't try to save it. I owed it nothing!
To all my IBD'ers reading. Don't be afraid of surgery. My surgery was easier to handle than my hospitalizations for flares. I feel good. I can eat and not worry. I can eat and not suffer for 3 days after. I'm not in pain. I'm not talking 10 pills a day or getting biologic meds pumped into me. Now I'm running my life. Not some stupid Autoimmune Disease. I'm winning. I don't plan on that changing anytime soon.   =D

#1 tooth update- it is still intact. She is a wuss. She is now whining she can't get it out.... Mmmmhhmmm... Let me try!!  (insert evil laugh here).

Also, #2 is taking 4-6 steps pretty confidently. Time to put the house on LOCKDOWN! She is a wild one. I am screwed with both of these girls....Definitely not wallflowers, or shy.

I went and got myself a super deluxe hot stone, clay wrap, super size value meal pedicure today. It was soooo nice. And I like my new color.... Am I getting too old for obnoxious nail polish? Hope not.
Thanks for a fun chat Cassie!

No comments:

Post a Comment