Thursday, February 7, 2013

Nonstop, little sleep, lots of meds, repeat.

It has been some time!!! Sorry it's been so long... Following my last blog post I was miserable and dealing with some JPouch issues and was in the worst mood for a few days and then life got in the way. I saw my surgeon last week and was basically a wreck. I wasn't sleeping because my skin was so raw and was weeping. NOTHING I did was working. The pain and the spasms kept me up or woke me up multiple times per night. I had lost a very small amount of blood a few times, and after everything I've been through, one drop and I am in an internal panic. I was near a breaking point from exhaustion. My surgeon comes in the room and I just started crying. He didn't know what to do. I launched into my tirade about my misery and exhaustion and just kept crying. He looks at me after I stopped for a second, and says, "Lisa, I don't know how to handle this with you. You are one of the strongest people I have ever treated, with one of the worst cases of UC, and you always have humor and a joke. I can't handle this side of you. I'm going to fix it". Well, naturally that made me cry harder and then lucky me....... I got to have an internal exam. It was my lucky day. Whoop whoop. Once again I will reiterate, I have no shame, dignity or modesty left... LONG GONE!!
So, he prescribes me Valium, more Flexeril(yeah, who knew digestive diseases would get you the good stuff), lidocaine gel(use your imagination) and a topical cream. I'm seriously a walking pharmacy. Want to know how often I fill prescriptions? They don't even glance at my license for a controlled substance anymore because THEY KNOW ME. Crazy. But I digress....
I felt better after leaving the office because my surgeon is great. He will listen, and keep trying to fix whatever the problem is. So many doctors dismiss their patients and are arrogant. I get none of that with mine and it's wonderful.
In the meantime I started classes and it is kicking my ass. A lot of work. A lot of material. It's scary. I am having my moments of being overwhelmed especially when my 18 month old is going nuts, tearing through the house and I'm trying to study tissues samples!! Yikes. No bueno. On top of it, my sleep is very broken which makes the mornings feel like torture. I'm trying to adjust. One thing that is so awesome that most will find weird is that Hubs installed a retro fit Bidet on our master bathroom toilet. OMG seriously, it is amazing!! Everyone should have one. Seriously. Go Bidet. It has changed my life now that I have a JPouch and the skin issues that go along with it as I've explained before.
Anyway- that's been my big exciting news. So great.
Oh, another awesome thing is I am going to be a guest blogger for http://thegreatbowelmovement.org/. I am so excited. They are a great little thing with awesome Tshirts like the one I have that says, "Ask me about my Ostomy". Awareness, awareness and conversation. So important to us IBD activists. As soon as it's up and posted I will link it! So cool.
It's things like that that make me so happy I started blogging.


Well, I am going back to some studying before bed. Test on Monday and I never maximize my weekend as much as I'd like. Have a great night everyone. Thanks for reading. XO

2 comments:

  1. Aw girl I am so sorry you're having so much trouble right now! xoxo

    ReplyDelete